Officials Say Child Playing With Lighter Caused NoDa Apartment Fire That Seriously Injured Girl

UPDATE:  Officials say they determined the apartment fire in NoDa that seriously injured a 7-year-old was accidentally started while she was playing with a lighter.

Katlyn Cook was seriously injured and had to have surgery after suffering second and third degree burns on 60 percent of her body after becoming trapped behind a jammed door.

The fire caused $35,000 in property damage to the Twin Oaks Apartments.

CHARLOTTE, NC – Family members say they’re encouraged by how far seven-year-old Katlyn Cook has come in just a week.

“She’s progressing real good and she’s improving,” explains Katlyn’s Grandmother

The little girl had surgery Thursday and still hasn’t opened her eyes.

But there’s good news.

Her grandmother tells WCCB Charlotte the little girl’s vital signs are stable and her oxygen levels have
improved.

“It’s encouraging. It’s just amazing to me,” Tate says.

People in the community donated more than $1400 for Katlyn’s medical fund Sunday.

Hundreds gathered at a barbecue fundraiser at NoDa Company Store.

The fire happened last Monday at the nearby Twin Oaks Apartments.

The little girl suffered second and third degree burns on 60 percent of her body after becoming trapped behind a jammed door.

Firefighters rushed in and saved her.

The girl’s mother remains by her side at a burn center in Winston-Salem.

“From the time it started, she was just torn to pieces. But she’s coming along. And he is too, her husband,” Tate says.

Kaitlyn’s 12-year-old sister Stephanie says the family is staying strong.

“I’ve been thinking about her getting better. And seeing her smile,” explains Stephanie Brooks.

Click Here for a GoFundMe page supporting Katlyn’s Medical Expenses.